Wednesday, May 1, 2019

MayAGA Day 1: A Good Start



Today is the first day of May and the start of MayAGA. This is the challenge for individuals to wear a MAGA hat every day in the month of May everywhere they go. It is not a march or rally but rather a demonstration that there are normal everyday people, some are your friends and neighbors, who are Republican, conservative and/or supporters of President Trump.

It is not an attempt to trigger or upset people but to show that you refuse to believe the hype of the media about how bad the world is and to say that you will refuse to allow your choices to be dictated by those who are willing to use violence and social pressure to silence you.

The First Step

After a lot of thought and reflection I decided that I would try wearing the MAGA hat for the whole month. I wrote a couple blog posts about it, clarifying my thoughts and intentions, and waited for May to arrive.

I would be lying if I said I was not nervous. Chief among my fears was that I would create more problems than I was trying to solve. I worried about how others would react to my choice. The media narratives did have an impact on me, but I had thought it through and steeled myself as I placed my MAGA hat on my head and walked out the door.

As I started my car my mind started to race with the uncertainties the day held for me. As I approached the grocery store I realized that this would be the first interaction. How would it go? Would anything bad happen? Would anyone even care? I hoped for the last one.

Early Morning Surprise

The store was mostly empty and I held my head up and looked forward, set on getting what I needed for breakfast and snacks for work. I grabbed a couple apples and oranges and some yogurt and headed to the register.

At this point I walked passed a few people but nothing happened. I placed my items on the belt as the cashier spoke to the person ahead of me. The cashier grabbed my items and started to scan them when she looked up to greet me.

I smile and stepped forward, more calm in my actions than in my mind. She said good morning and smile back at me. I moved over to the debt card machine and that is when she noticed the hat. A red hat with white letters causes people to take a second look.

To my surprise the cashier just nodded and said “Good for you!” We both knew she was talking about my hat and I grinned.

“Thanks.” I said as I put my card into the debt machine “I figured if I want to wear it I should be able to.” She agreed with me and asked where I got my MAGA hat. I told her I had to buy it online and that it was very reasonably priced. She told me that her husband was looking to buy one too.

We completed our transaction and wished each other a good day. I smiled as I walked to my car, seems I was worked up for nothing. Now on to the next challenge, time to go to work.

Work Day

I work for a small company and knew most everyone and thought things would be pretty safe but sometime you never know. I walked into work and punched the time clock and headed to my desk. The first few hours no one noticed a thing, I looked at my emails, did some work, and got my morning cup of coffee.

I had told a few people that I was going to wear my MAGA hat for the month of May, but saying it and showing up are two very different things. Slowly, as more people arrived, people started to notice.

At first it came in the form of second glances. Than people laughed, not at me but in that way you laugh when you are excited or interested in something. A few people complemented me, some were a little surprised that I was actually wearing a MAGA hat publicly, and one person made a joke about it.

Even the joke was lighthearted and my experience was positive. It was a bit uncomfortable at first to realize that I was drawing attention to myself, but that wore off and everyone got back to their work.

I went out to lunch, taco bell (there goes my diet), with no problem and returned to work to finish out my day. One of my coworkers, on his lunch break, created a meme for MayAGA (Picture at the top of the article).

Making the Leap

I started the day a bit nervous about what was in store for me. As I went forward with fortitude and prudence I realized that the media and online hype was just that, hype.

I understand that this was just one day but so far everything has been positive. It was a bit uncomfortable knowing that people will look at you twice, but I understood that by wearing the MAGA hat I was inviting people to comment and talk to me.

In fact that was the point, I wanted people to talk to me and realize that just because someone wears a MAGA hat, supports President Trump or has different ideas does not mean that they are a bad person.

I would recommend people who want to take part in MayAGA to do so. But I would also recommend they examine their reason for doing so. If you just want to piss people off, do not do it.

But if you have used sound reasoning and moral wisdom and understand that you will face social scrutiny, a hostile media, and are willing to accept that you will be used as a representation of everyone who wears a MAGA hat and that your every word and action are important and must be chosen carefully, than please join me in taking part in MayAGA.

No comments:

Post a Comment