Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Snoop Dogg Not Clowning Around


I have been trying to figure out if Snoop Dogg was joking with his video. I am all for jokes and had no problem with the rodeo clown that wore an Obama mask (as well as a Bush and Bill Clinton mask). So if Snoop Dog was just making a joke than I should be okay with it. So the question is was he making a joke or not? I’ve watched the video several times and other than the use of clowns I have not found anything to lead me to believe that it was supposed to be a joke video.

            The video shows a man being shot by a cop for having a toy gun in his briefcase after being pulled over for smoking pot. If the video is supposed to be a joke than why is he making fun of people being shot by cops needlessly? This tone continues throughout the video with lyrics like:

Fuck the police, from a black man's point of view
Spray that shit, say that shit

And

Clownin' around, don't come your clown ass 'round here
Nigga you gon' get down
Real talk, I'm leavin' all you clown ass niggas outlined in chalk

Not really like any jokes I’ve heard before. Check out the full lyrics here


Reading the lyrics I was more surprised than hearing them. With the music and the video the lyrics get lost a little bit. The video goes on to show a clown version of Donald Trump called Ronald Klump. As the video draws to an end you see Snoop Dogg holding a gun aimed at Ronald Klump’s head while the Klump has his hands up. Snoop Dogg pulls the trigger and a bang flag comes out. The gun with a bang flag is an old troupe joke so it made me question if the whole video was just a joke. Yet examining the video and the lyrics farther leads me to believe that it was not a joke. Finally the video ends with Ronald Klump tied up in chains while Snoop and another man try to intimidate him while smoking and passing something back and forth.

            When asked about the video Snoop had this to say:

 

“Any time I drop something, I’m trying to fill in a void…I feel like it’s a lot of people making cool records, having fun, partying, but nobody’s dealing with the real issue with this fucking clown as president, and the shit that we dealing with out here, so I wanted to take time out to push pause on a party record and make one of these records for the time being.”

--Snoop Dogg

He says “Nobody’s dealing with the real issue with this fucking clown as president”. It would appear that Snoop’s method in dealing with this “fucking clown” is to shoot him and put him in chains. Violence against those you politically disagree with is never okay unless they are physically violent with you. It would seem this is an aging gangster rappers last attempt to keep his street cred which was lost long ago in a puff of marijuana smoke. Bye Snoop whatever you’re calling yourself now (lion, dogg, who knows) it was a wild ride while it lasted. Time to retire and live off your mom like a good Regressive.

 

Sources


No comments:

Post a Comment